• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

need some good advice on what good legal/herbal supplements to ease anxiety

grunter

Greenlighter
Hi

Wonder if you guys can help me out?

I'm trying to find out what is the best thing to help with my anxiety/paranoia/panic attacks/ general sketchyness. I've just stopped taking drugs in the last few weeks, after 10 years of complete over indulgence in all types of drugs. As my brain is very fryed now i'm looking for something legal or any ideas to make me more relaxed.I've got quite a good diet and get exercise. I've also tried 5-hpt after lookin through these threads and they havent done nothing.....thought this would be a good place to try after the lousy doctor i saw today.

All advice thanked in advance :):)

I hear Valarian root helps alot with anxiety as well as Nausea. My friend takes it all the time. It helps her sleep, gets rid of her panic attacks, anxiety and also takes away nausea.

Flower essences. Its specifically for anxiety..my girlfriend uses it and loves it. Dont let the name put you off..it really is great.
I cant recall exactly whats in it - i think folic acid and stuff like that?
BUt she just drops 1 drop under her tounge when she needs it..
worth a look i think.

Also Ginko Biloba, fish oil, alcar and Alpha lipoic acid are all good supplements that you should look into if you are really into repairing the damage u may have caused!

5-HTP or antihistamines... you can order a giant ass bottle of antihistaines on amazon for like 5 bucks. like literally enough to last you a life time.

I suggest meditation and 5-HTP twice a day.

Kava Kava works, only downside is it tastes god awful.

lol I think my gag reflex is still recovering from trying to down full bottles of that stuff. It works really well though. Even in the powder form. I've found that you want the powder to look very light brown. If it looks reddish at all it's a lower quality and less potent. This is just my observation from seeing and trying two distinctly different colors of it in the natural food store where I bought it.

They have a tincture or a pill form of it though. That's easier to swallow and a lot more effective. I think the tincture is the most powerful version of it available.

your brain will recover on its own soon, give it some more time...that's what I'm doing and its getting better every day

Valerian, kava kava, damiana, chamomile

Those are all pretty good to calm and sooth!

Kava Kava works, but it's a major pain in the ass to make + drink. In all honesty, alcohol is the easiest thing to drink/ingest for anxiety. It's not a long term solution but it definitely eases nerves.

And I feel ya on how bad the anxiety attacks can be. Walls feel like they're closing in, heart rates 120 bpm+, feels like ya gonna puke. Ruins your night/day. Just gotta get your mind to over come it. Alcohol may seem like adding fuel to the fire, but it's a small price to pay for bad anxiety attacks, given to don't use it to medicate long term.

Kava should only be used as an acute aid and should be used with milk thistle and dandilion due to the lactones effects on liver enzymes.

L-Theanine is awesome. Theanine can be found in green tea as well.

Myo-Inositol

5 HTP

Adaptogenic herbs I highly recommend. Holy Basil, Maca, Indian Sotna Latha, Siberian Maral Root, Tibetan Ginseng, Fo Ti Tieng, Nopal Cactus, European Thyme, cordyceps, astragalus.

There is a great book by Steven Maimes that covers adaptogens. I recommend these herbs before sedative like herbs, because they strengthen and tone the organs.

chemical aides will help of course, but at the same time are a crutch.

but psychological aides work best! practice breathing, breathing deeper and more consciously, better posture, and honestly it will make differences in overall body chemistry. its not going to heal you over night, but after really paying attention to taking in deep breaths with good posture, you will realize how much more relaxed you become in every day life.

also seek out an anti inflammatory diet (ima big fan of ginger and garlic), and keep your daily intake of vitamins balanced (lots of diverse fruits and veggies). poor diet can certainly lead to exasperated anxiety.

^ ^ Amen to that! Diet is one of the most important and underestimated things for mental health.

Don't overdo sugar & carbs to start. Ideally, a balanced diet with lots of vegetables and hydration is good. You really are what you eat!

(ranting because I just started eating raw/vegan, and I feel fantastic)

There is a Travel Sickness medicine called Bonine. The drug in it is "meclazine". It works well for anxiety.

You can ask the pharmacy for some if they have it behind the counter and it is way cheaper. You can get like 100pills for about $7-8 vs. on the shelf and it's the same for about 15 pills.

I take 1 at a time. I am a detox nurse and we give that to a lot of our patients. 2 pills can make some people sleepy and other's it doesn't. It did not make me feel anything other than not anxious.

You can also take magnesium on an infrequent (1-2 times a week maybe) basis and it will help to relax you. Just plain magnesium w/out anything else in it.

I've been using alcohol to ease my nerves for years but its not the answer any more. I drink so much lately, that i feel it makes me worse when im hung over. The panic attacks are very rare its just pretty much constant anxiety and sketchyness that's the pest, apart from valium not much seems to help. Guess i gotta just ride it out and stay away from the messyness

i switched from coffee to yerba mate every day and it seems to be helping my anxiety.

I concur with the kava kava statements.

try getting some regular exercise too.

i take valerian root to go to sleep sometimes. im told its good to eat throughout the day for anxiety.

I like all of the suggestions so far.

My favorite way of healing the body is a good yoga session. It both relaxes internal tensions while strengthening the mind/body so it can better withstand the stresses of life.

St. John's wort has been used traditionally in the treatment of anxiety/nervousness. Some find it effective as a sleep aid, but it makes me hyper, so it's useless for my insomnia. It's a little pricey, at least at the drug store next to my place, but you should still experiment with it.